Over 600,000 square feet of industrial real estate construction activity this year at CentrePort Canada
CentrePort Canada Inc. is pleased to announce over 600,000 square feet in new construction is underway at the inland port. Close to $70 million worth of building permits have been issued this year by the South Interlake Planning District for new projects in the Rural Municipality of Rosser (“RM of Rosser”), in the area known as CentrePort North.
“Manitoba is open for business and we are thrilled to see this significant development move forward that will play an integral role in our province’s long-term economic growth,” said Deputy Premier and Minster of Economic Development, Investment and Trade, Cliff Cullen. “Our government is pleased to work collaboratively with CentrePort and all business and industry leaders to create the conditions to make Manitoba more competitive, foster job creation, incent investment and spur economic growth, now and well into the future.”
Highlights from construction and development in 2022, include:
- BrookPort Business Park:
- Phase III sells out: 17 companies have purchased lots in the latest 90-acre phase of BrookPort Business Park, developed by Whiteland Developers. All three phases of the Park are sold out, totaling 260 acres.
- 12 Vervain Drive: This 83,174 square foot multi-tenant building with industrial space for lease has been brought to market by Whiteland Developers and is now ready for occupancy.
- CentrePort Canada Rail Park: Announced in March 2022, the first phase (193 acres) of the 665-acre rail serviced industrial park has been subdivided and rezoned to I3 (heavy industrial) and is in active development by Focus Equities Inc.
- Imperial Seed: The seed processing company recently began construction of a 30,000 square foot cold storage addition. This $2.5 million warehousing space doubles the company’s current storage capacity and enhances their ability to service customers in over 30 countries around the world.
- Steele Business Park: MMI Asset Management broke ground on Steele Business Park in 2020, and construction is nearing completion on the second of three multi-tenant buildings with industrial space for lease. The first phase of 80,190 square feet is now 70 percent leased and the second phase of 66,200 square feet will be ready for occupancy by the end of the year.
- West Creek Industrial Park: This new industrial park by Hopewell Development will bring nearly 300,000 square feet of industrial space for lease to the market. Two buildings are under construction and will be ready for occupancy in Q2 2023.
- 15 Davis Way: A 10,000 SF office/flex space is nearing completion in Brookside Business Park. Situated adjacent to Tim Hortons and Shell Canada, this development has room for a Quick Service Restaurant opportunity with potential drive-thru. The first tenant confirmed in this new building is the South Interlake Planning District.
“Being located in CentrePort Canada has given us the space and opportunity to grow our business,” said Kurt Shmon, President, Imperial Seed Ltd. “We opened our doors in the summer of 2017, with plans to grow and expand our operations over time. Our business has grown faster than we anticipated, and we are so excited to be moving ahead with this expansion of our cold storage facilities in order to better serve our global customers.”
Currently, there are over 2,000 acres in development within the CentrePort footprint. Demand for modern and flexible industrial space within the capital region of Winnipeg has shown no signs of slowing down and is expected to continue. Since 2019, six new business parks have been brought to market, including: BrookPort Business Park, Brookside Industrial Park West Phase III, CentrePort Canada Rail Park (Phase 1), InksPort Business Park, Steele Business Park and West Creek Industrial Park. Industrial land within the R.M. of Rosser remains a hot commodity.
“Over the last five years, we have seen over $350 million worth of building permits issued within the R.M. of Rosser in CentrePort,” said Diane Gray, President & CEO, CentrePort Canada Inc. “These projects have dramatically changed the business and economic landscape, bringing new companies and jobs to the CentrePort footprint. As we look ahead to 2023, there’s more excitement to come – the inland port will continue to grow and evolve with the initial construction of the CentrePort Canada Rail Park and several new industrial business parks will be announced in the coming months.”
Development activity shows no signs of slowing down with more major projects on the horizon, including the servicing of City of Winnipeg lands within CentrePort, the development of a 500-acre residential area, and the construction of the 665-acre CentrePort Canada Rail Park in the RM of Rosser.
CentrePort Canada is Manitoba’s 20,000-acre inland port and Foreign Trade Zone. Established in 2008, it is the largest trimodal inland port in North America, with over 2,000 acres in active development. Located in the heart of North America, CentrePort connects to major national and international trade gateways and corridors, and is the only inland port in Canada with direct access to trimodal transportation – truck, rail and air cargo. www.centreportcanada.ca
For media inquiries, please contact:
CentrePort Canada Inc.
Executive Director, Marketing & Communications